Friday, October 12, 2007

I Like to Make Lists

"Favourites from Plimpton's list of objects thrown by Rangers fans: soup cans, a persimmon, eggs, a folding chair and a dead rabbit." - The Weakerthans, Elegy for Gump Worsley

Things I started out saying as a joke that have now become a part of my regular vocabulary, making it so that every time I open my mouth I just want to mock myself:
  • "Yo."
  • "Word."
  • "Sup?" and "Whattup?"
  • "Cello" in place of "Hello" in phrases such as "cello, you got a bass"*
  • "Like"**
  • "So totally" or its more pernicious variant, "Like, so totally."
  • "Whatev."
  • "Samwich" instead of "Sandwich."
  • Shakespearean-sounding words and phrases such as "Verily," "Doth," "Hath," "Quoth," "Whilst," and the like.***
  • "Ain't" and its close friend "ain't no."
  • "More better," "More bigger," "Biggerer," and other inappropriate uses of the suffix -er.
  • Comebacks involving "your mom" and "your face."
Words I like enough to insert into my daily speech even if they make me sound ridiculously pretentious:
  • Pernicious
  • Non sequitur
  • Loquacious
  • Hyperbole (or Hyperbolic)
  • Quintessential
  • Dionysian
  • Machiavellian
  • Didactic
  • Eschatological
  • Dissemble
  • Ginormous****
Things I like that some people judge me for:
  • Dogs in clothes
  • Unicorns
  • Pink things
  • Makeup
  • 4-inch Heels
  • Sword fighting
  • Cheesy teen romantic comedies
  • Justin Timberlake and others of his ilk
  • Spice Girls
  • Spider-Man comic books
  • Video games
  • America's Next Top Model
  • "Modern" Art, including Abstract Art
  • Taking pictures of myself
None of these lists are meant to be all-inclusive, I'd like to make that distinction now. Anyway, that's it for today.

*Watch School of Rock. Just do it.
**But it was in like 5th grade so by now it's an inextricable part of my vocabulary.
***A while back someone knocked on my door and I actually shouted, "Hark, who calls? - er, I mean, who's there?" Very embarrassing.
****Okay, so this one doesn't make me sound pretentious so much as give me away as a Will Ferrell fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment