Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Update: My Brain Broke


"Julie, why has it been so long since you last wrote something for your blog?" I'm sure you're wondering, all the time, relentlessly, as you compulsively check this site for updates. The greatest joy of your life has been on hold since June (when I posted something incredibly lame that was mostly pictures of designer clothing) and your summer has seemed comparatively dim and hopeless for the loss. You want answers. I understand. Thankfully, the answer is pretty simple: I just haven't been talking to anyone because I'm insane.

OK, not insane exactly. Crazy, maybe. I can't find a concrete definition for the term "nervous breakdown" - it's apparently not a real clinical condition of any kind - so I feel reasonably confident in applying it to myself. But I am now standing in the eye of my particular mental breakdown with a possible end imaginable, so I thought I'd take a moment to say hello. Hello! I've been learning all kinds of interesting things over the past few months. For example, I like having short hair. And The Weakerthans are AMAZING in concert. I've also learned many fascinating things about insomnia, panic attacks, PTSD-style flashbacks, prescription medications, crippling ennui, dog training, and how to cook dynamite pesto/eggplant/goat cheese pizza. I keep a journal sometimes now (no, you can't read it! Sheesh!), made up my own version of "Cat Heaven" for solo piano, tweaked my blog's sidebar (look to your right for evidence), and I have better mascara than I used to have. Then again, I also joined Twitter, so I can't legitimately say it's been a wholly productive time.

Tonight I am at home, mysteriously ill as I have been off-and-on for the past few days. The dogs are here with me, lying calmly on their various blankets. The crazy one is successfully ignoring my father's parakeets. My third or fourth consecutive rerun of NCIS is playing on the TV in the kitchen. I am sitting back in my leopard-print pajamas, enjoying a giant green Otter Pop. I guess this life is not that bad.

Picture above is from the fabulous Garfield Minus Garfield.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are at least in the Eye of your storm. Do you need a bomb shelter rigged up for you or anything? I don't know how I could help with that, but I thought I'd ask anyway... In case you knew...

    [insert witty dialog here]

    Coo.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed the title of this post. And if I had a bomb shelter I think I'd be too afraid that I'd get stuck in there for 35 years like the guy from "Blast From the Past." Then again, maybe when I came out I'd be rich. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you doing with your life?

    That's all I have to say right now.

    For now.

    Maybe later I'll have more to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riches at the expense of social backwardsness?

    Hmmmmm.

    Might be worth it... Or I've been without money for far too long... take your pick. No. Really. Take it! TAKE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to stop by and say that I love NCIS. Ok then.

    ReplyDelete