Sunday, September 23, 2007

On Having More Fun: Another Blog of Pictures


"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde." - Dolly Parton


Well the deed, as they say, is done. The fabulous Kirsten Nelson at Adagio Salon in Orem (soon to be the fabulous Kirsten Nelson at Element Salon in Orem) and I spent many, many, many, many hours together on Saturday as she painstakingly lifted the base color of my hair from dark brown to its current fairer state. Since
Becca told me to post pictures of the finished job, and I tend to do what I'm told, and I like to take pictures of myself anyway, I went for a walk today and came back with some pictures to share with you all.


On the left here is my new Facebook profile picture and also the picture so far wherein my hair appears the lightest.






I have included this picture on the right because I think I look epic in it. It is now my MySpace profile picture. Oh, like you needed more evidence that I'm an ubergeek.





And this is roughly how I felt after spending FIVE HOURS in the salon on Saturday. I'm told my hair was a particularly difficult case. Good thing Kirsten is such a neat lady, or it might've been miserable. Plus I was reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower during the "processing" times, which is an AMAZING book that I recommend to anyone. Wow.

What you can see from this and the picture to your left below here (aside from the fact that I'm a raving lunatic) is how for some reason I come off as a strawberry blonde in most lights. This is odd because Kirsten put Ash blonde in my hair - which is a blonde with greenish undertones placed there for the express purpose of neutralizing any red in the hair. And my hair was obviously bleached out before that, leaving it with only a few traces of orange.
But somehow in that picture on the left I look rather like my longtime friend Kristen, a well-known redhead (who is not to be confused with my stylist Kirsten, though both are fabulous). This just goes to show how no matter what color you put in my hair, it will come off as the "reddish" version of that color once you give it time to process. I swear my hair has a mind of its own.* I don't mind though, because I just realized that my hair is almost the same sort of "rose gold" color as that of the Flower Ballerina Nutcracker Barbie, who was - no joke - my ideal of beauty as a child.
See? Who wouldn't want to look like that? Now if I can just get an extremely ruffly dress, pointe shoes, and part of a lace heart backdrop, I'll be all set.

Back to me...
















There, I even included the highly cliché "finger in mouth" pose, which I don't think was supposed to come off looking so Stalk-Me-Please-MySpace-Whore-ish. Normally I would've deleted it by now out of sheer embarrassment, but without it there are only three pictures, and then I wouldn't have a square, now would I? Besides, it's a good picture of the hair. THE HAIR, you weirdo.

So that's me as a blonde so far. And if those aren't enough pictures for you, I'm just going to get extremely creeped out. Now I'm going to do something productive (like write my English 311 paper...or stare at myself in the mirror), and then I'm told there's some serious fun I ought to be having.

*This concept gives rise to my eventual one-woman show, entitled Me and My Hair: A Two-Woman Show.

(Last minute edit: note that you can click on any of the above pictures to enlarge them.)

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever told you... But I am honored that you linked me on your blog.

    Oh, and I think the Strawberry Blonde look looks good on you. I was a little afraid you were going to go crazy with that hair color change and look outlandish... Then, of course, I realized that you do that now and again anyway, so there was nothing for me to really be perturbed about.

    Ergo, I decided to just say hi.

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, quite the epic tale, also quite the song! I think it looks snazzy, but I can't wait to see it in person, as there are many colors represented there and I'm not sure which one is closest to the true color that I will see in person. Though I do hear you about your color morphing as it processes, it seems like your hair color has always done that, it's like your hair is just not sure that it really wanted to be the color that you tried to make it, but really the color it was thinking you probably really wanted it to be. Anyway, good times, hey and is that the same hair dresser that cut your hair that one time that you randomly decided that it need to be short again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, that was...oh, what was her name. Katy Tenney's sister, I found out. I have her card in my car somewhere I think. Anyway, she was an awesome stylist as well and I loved the cut she gave me, but I wasn't so sure if she had a particular expertise in color. So I opted to go with Kirsten. But if you want a sassy fun cut, So-and-so Tenney from Salon On The Avenue in Provo was pretty fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete