Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It's a Sunshine Day


"And even if time ain't really on my side / It's one of those days for taking a walk outside. / I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun / And fall on my face on somebody's new-mowed lawn." - Lovin' Spoonful, 'Daydream'

Today - get this, you won't believe it - today I woke up and the sun was actually shining. Like, you could see it, in the sky. It was amazing. I hadn't seen a sight like that since my week in LA earlier this month, and oh, I'd been missing it so! So when I peered out my window this morning and saw that gorgeous, gaseous orb smiling luminously back at me, I just knew it would be a wonderful day. I put on my favorite swingy, frivolous skirt that my mom said I would never wear (ha! Showed her!), a pair of navy leggings to appease the slight chill in the air, and went sockless all day. It was fabulous. And a lot of great things happened - my class went well, I don't have to move until I graduate in December, and a package from home arrived with a late birthday present and boxes of couscous, sweetener, and sugar-free chocolate. But the best part - my favorite part of the day - was when I went for a walk. Outside.

Going on a long walk outside is one of my absolute favorite things to do. You get to see things, experience nature, clear your head, tackle problems, and sometimes meet new people who then invite you to dinner at Village Inn. And you can also learn a lot of new things on a walk. Allow me to share a few of today's lessons with you...

Just because you're welcome sometimes doesn't mean you're welcome all the time. Like between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM. People like to sleep during those times, not think about you and your presumptuously parked car.


Pay attention before people go to drastic measures such as painting arrows toward their problems in order to get you to look at them. This sidewalk is completely broken, but did anyone care? Obviously not, or it wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to itself in such an outlandish fashion. And now you know this is going to create one of those vicious cycles where it thinks it just have to go further and further in order to get anyone to validate its existence. It's just sad when good walkways go bad.

Celebrate Christmas all year round. And be open about it - it helps other people keep the spirit alive too. After seeing this, for example, I feel much less like a freak for having songs from Christmas with Dino stuck in my head all day.


Hydration is good for everyone. Even nature thinks so! Alternatively, this picture teaches us that if we don't use our technology, the Earth is bound to reclaim it. So get out that iPod or lose it, son.


Even trees like to show off their booties. Yeah baby! Shake that thang!*










Indoor appliances can belong outside. In other words, think outside the box. Or the kitchen.






What you can't swing from, you can always climb up on. I don't know precisely how that relates to my life, but it sure does seem significant.

So all you out there in internet-land, the next time you're faced with a nice, sunshiny day, rather than shrinking in fear from the great fiery ball in the sky go out there and see what, if anything, it has to show you. After all, the sun isn't just about UV rays and premature aging - it's got a lot of life lessons to share, too.

*Note to self: Never, ever say "thang" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment