Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blogging about Blogging. Also, I Finally Say Something About Prop 8.

I've always been a "foot in both camps" type of person. When two friends are fighting, I'm usually the one who sees it from both sides. When two ideas conflict, I'm generally to be found sorting out the points they have in common. When given the choice between two differing options, I will find any way possible to choose both. I don't commit to one side particularly easily. So it shouldn't be all that surprising that the leadup and fallout from the Prop 8 campaigns in California have been difficult for me to handle. On the one hand, my religious leaders and many of the people around me came out very strongly in favor of a ban on gay marriage, and I respect that. On the other, all I want is for my friends to be happy - to feel embraced and accepted and empowered and loved. And that definitely includes my friends in the GLBTQ (that's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning) community. And so here I was, once again caught in the middle of a conflict. How was I to remain neutral?

Faced with the possibility of no longer getting to play Switzerland in the Great Marriage War, I did the only thing I could think of at the time: I ran away. I avoided the conversation altogether. "I don't vote in California," I said, and decided that was that. But now that the GLBTQ community and its allies are howling with pain and perfectly understandable outrage, and extraordinarily well-meaning, faithful Latter-Day Saints are once again finding themselves the targets of persecution for merely doing what they believed to be right, I'm starting to recognize my silence for what it was all along: plain old ordinary cowardice. And in the face of a personal attempt to become a fully authentic, honest person, I think I might just have to face this thing head on. And guys, that has me seriously freaked out.

Confession time: I cheated on this blog this week. In a flurry of pain and anxiety Sunday night, I wrote a post on the Feministing Community site. I'm not totally comfortable recommending that you read it (though you can if you want to). I chickened out at the last moment and instead of writing a clear statement of my ideas and the conflict I'm facing, I think I accidentally spit out a lot of passive aggressive whining about my fears with only a little substance behind it. If you're reading this post here right now, I think you've got the gist of what I said. I wrote it in a state of some duress, hit "submit", immediately regretted sending out something before thinking it through first, and then assumed that a few people might look at it and then the whole thing would just blow over.

WRONG. The post went up on the site the next morning. By the time I got home from classes around noon, the comments were climbing and it was being called a "Community Fave" (meaning it's recommended on the Feministing main page). Within hours, it was reposted in full on the main page at Feministing - a very high traffic area, Feministing being one of the major feminist blogs out there (note: I love Feministing, but strong language and content warnings apply). The post topped 150 comments by the end of the day and let me tell you, it was a mixed bag. Several Christian feminists popped out of the woodwork to offer support (some in comments, some via email, one fantastic lady even ventured over to this blog, of all places). Others told me the anxiety I felt was due to cognitive dissonance, since Mormonism and feminism can never be compatible in any way, and I was going to have to leave one community or the other. I was challenged to change things within my faith - I countered by saying I'm perfectly happy to do so within my community. That was good enough for some people. And there were some straight-up anti-religious types who told me to get out while the getting was good. A surprising number of ex-Mormons popped out to offer empathy and their own stories about how this sort of conflict is what led to their leaving the Church. I was asked many, many times to clarify some fairly complex doctrines and comment on the usual skeletons in the Mormon closet (racism, sexism, etc.). Though uncomfortable filling the role of spokesperson for a whole religion - a fact I stated pretty openly - I did the best I could. Some of my words and beliefs may have been distorted by those reading, but that's to be expected. Others were overwhelmingly supportive in their attempts to engage with me, which I ought to have expected even though I didn't. I tried to stick by my convictions but my opinions tend to run toward the fluid end of things, and that made it hard. It was an intense experience to say the least, one that's certain to lead to a lot of intellectual/ideological growth for me. But I can't say as I'd ever like to go through it again.

So in the aftermath of a somewhat battle-weary Monday, I find myself still here. Caught. Still unsure, and still ashamed of that fact. But I'm determined to abandon cowardice and try to make sense of things, even if I can only do so after the time for action has mostly passed. So for the record, here are some of the things I DO personally believe about this issue:
  • I believe that Christlike love and Charity is the greatest force for good on earth, the quickest and most effective route to true equality and empathy for all living beings. That sounds cheesy, but it's true. It may be that, as Ivan Karamazov states so succinctly, "Christ's love for people is...a miracle impossible on earth" (BK, p. 237), but I still think that if we all work all our lives to exemplify the traits attributed to real charity, then justice, equality, and compassion for all must naturally follow. Just ponder the attributes listed here and in the highlighted passages here and you'll probably see what I mean. Even if you don't believe in Christ, or God, or any kind of deity or afterlife or whatever, maintaining charitable attributes is still the best thing for a harmonious society.
  • If feminism is really about making sure that both genders are equal in every way, that everyone is loved and cared for and accepted, that everyone has equal opportunities for success, happiness, and personal fulfillment, then all Mormons should be feminists. We may not fit as a whole into the feminist political movement as it is currently defined, but feminists we are nonetheless.
  • A civil union is not the same thing as a marriage. Everyone knows that or we wouldn't be arguing about it so much. I'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad or a good thing because sadly I'm just not there yet; I just wish everyone would stop talking around this point and start saying what they really think and believe. It would certainly help me figure out what I think and believe. Right now I'm sensing that there's something underneath a lot of the flawed rhetoric coming from both sides but I just can't figure out what it is.
  • No one is a label or even a collection of labels - including me. No two people are alike, even if they have enough in common to justify a person categorizing them together. And that's a beautiful thing.
  • I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be!
  • Oh wait, that's what Whitney Houston believes.
  • Thomas S. Monson is an actual, literal prophet of God. That's one I actually believe.
  • Proponents of gay marriage are generally good people who are fighting for what they honestly believe to be right and just. So are opponents of gay marriage.
  • Religious persecution is very, very scary. So is constantly being targeted, called out, threatened, and "othered" because of feelings of attraction over which you have no control.
  • There might not be any way to easily sort all this out.
That's all I've got to say for the middle of a Wednesday night. Hopefully that's enough for a while. It's just that I'm starting to realize that silence about important things is almost always harmful, while honest, open communication, when reciprocated accordingly, is always helpful. So before my unfortunately short attention span finds something else on which to fixate, I thought I'd try a little honesty.

9 comments:

  1. Julie, I just read your post and all 180 comments after it. I'm proud of you. I think you did a great job voicing what you believe and standing up for both the Church AND feminism. I was surprised at the heat of the anger that was sometimes (wrongfully) focused at you, but you definitely kept your cool and reacted with respect and intelligence. Though I am strongly in favor of Prop 8, I did struggle with it at first-- I really respect what you said and again, I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I was going to take a test an hour and a half ago but I read all the stuff at feministing instead. Julie, I think you are brave. I especially love what you said about how all mormons should be feminists. And I think you should be proud for being true to what you believe. You're a gutsy, feminist, mormon, wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! You guys are the best and I really respect you both so much, so I really appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Thomas S. Monson is an actual, literal prophet of God. That's one I actually believe."

    A question, out of curiosity--since church leaders have made it clear they don't support same sex marriage or even the "GLBT lifestyle" (unless they pursue a "straight lifestyle" or abstain from relationships for the duration of their life), how do you rationalize that with your belief that gay people deserve rights? Meaning...on the one hand, you believe the prophet of God is decrying same sex marriage and GLBT rights, but on the other, you support both of those things. How is that possible? I honestly don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let me put it this way. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I also believe that drinking coffee is wrong. But I don't believe in shutting down coffee shops; in fact, some of my best memories have taken place in coffee shops. I don't tell other people what they can and can't drink. If you're an active, practicing Mormon, and I know that you believe in the Word of Wisdom, then I may give you some raised eyebrows if I find you drinking coffee. Otherwise, you're not hurting anyone; why should I care?

    I believe everyone deserves happiness, same sex oriented or not. As long as you're not hurting anyone else, I think I have a duty to support your feeling human, cared for, and loved. I also don't think it's my job to judge anybody but myself, especially when I have no idea if I would act differently given a different set of circumstances (ie, if I weren't heterosexual and cisgendered) regardless of what I believed. Maybe that's a little too permissive; I don't know. At this point, it works for me.

    Does that help clarify things a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does, to an extent. Since Monson approved requests asking members to support Proposition 8, and you believe he is a prophet of God, I still am not quite sure why you didn't automatically 'do as you were told', as it were. Now, don't get me wrong--I'm glad you didn't, particularly since it seems your stance (ie: following God's law and not attempting to interfere with man's law, or politics) seems to be a stricter interpretation of Mormon doctrine than Monson himself was suggesting. But I guess I'm still uncertain how you can reconcile the fact that doctrine says one thing, and the current president says another. Which do you think is right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is part of what I'm figuring out in this instance. I do know that Mormon doctrine and leaders both encourage praying about and studying out doctrine and counsel for yourself to decide what's true, not just blindly doing as you're told. This is a basic misunderstanding that a lot of people have about the Mormon Church - many people don't realize that in fact independent thought is meant to be encouraged by the Church, not suppressed (sometimes church members get this wrong too, but nobody's perfect). Now for some people, just knowing that the prophet wants you to do something is enough. Those people might be better people than I am right now. As for me, I'm still stuck in that investigative process on this issue. Right now I don't see any way that gay marriage hurts families, traditional marriages, religion, or society. But I'm willing to entertain the possibility that I'm just missing something here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, that's interesting to know. I've been very confused for awhile about why some Mormons defer to doctrine, and others defer to the current President. I suppose that's a personal choice each member has to make for themselves, and I respect that you're willing to investigate rather than blindly follow.

    I recently wrote an entry regarding the LDS/GLBT conflict that's currently going on. I would be interested to hear your thoughts. As a forewarning, I did not write it for an LDS audience, so you may disagree with many things I've written. That being said, I'd still be interested to know what you think.

    http://writingevolution.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julie. I love you to pieces. You know my stance in this whole debacle...and I'm grateful that you're not one of those people who feels the need to be verbose about her beliefs...you genuinely address your state of unrest, and honestly, that's comforting...honesty is comforting.

    There have been A LOT of situations in the last handful of months involving people with whom I went to school, just (seemingly) blindly and absolutely tearing down gay marriage at ANY point possible...I've been feeling kinda alone and defeated, being in a different camp than a large handful of my peers and friends, and being...well...kind of ostracized because of it.

    I take comfort in the fact that there are Julies out there brave enough to say "I don't know, but I'm trying to figure it out."

    ReplyDelete