Monday, February 09, 2009

Important Facts about David Zobell

As everyone knows, I am an important blogger who blogs about important things. Therefore, it is only appropriate that I should take a moment to write a blog about a very important person. In addition to this very obvious obligation, I write this blog for 2 reasons:
  1. He told me to.
  2. I (sometimes) like to do things that cool people tell me to do.
So turn up the Sondheim, turn down the lights, and everybody let's learn about...

DAVID ZOBELL.

David Zobell is a theatre student at BYU, where I go to school. He is a phenomenal director who assistant directed the production of Dancing at Lughnasa that I was in last semester. I have it on good authority that all members of that cast came out of the experience with a boundless, highly irrational attachment to our intrepid young artiste. I personally find him to be one of the most huggable people of my acquaintance. He will tell you that he does not like to be touched, but I'm pretty sure he's lying. But did you know that David Zobell does more than just direct shows and receive my hugs? It's true! I've done research.

A few things David Zobell does exceptionally well:

  • He blogs.
  • He sings with the BYU Men's Chorus.
  • He quotes Stephen Sondheim songs frequently and with ease.
  • He watches movies by himself. As a fellow solo movie watcher, I find this habit to be associated with greatness.
  • He chooses awesome movies. Why, just the other night we watched Gremlins with some of our friends from our Children's Media class. It was immensely edifying.
  • He gives people things. Memories, pictures on Facebook, things to think about, great artistic works, monologues from Gremlins...
This is not an all-inclusive list of course. He is a highly accomplished person capable of doing a wide variety of things with panache, aplomb, and a more than adequate dose of creativity.

But wait - there's more to know about David Zobell! First of all, his name is really fun to say all together. Just try it: DavidZobell. Go ahead, say it out loud. No one will judge you. Davidzobell. A wonderful combination of sounds. Have you noticed that it's made up of all voiced consonants? Glorious.

Some other important facts about David Zobell:
  • We were in the same Freshman Ward, but we never got to know each other.
  • He's from Las Vegas, but I don't think he knows any showgirls. And I'm pretty sure he's never met a magical white tiger either. Apparently there are other types of people who live there - who knew?
  • His birthday is only one day before mine!
  • He's a Theatre 101 TA, which means he actually has to teach stuff.
  • He likes Seattle.
  • He gives people really great blogging ideas.
Wow. I could really go on about David Zobell all day long. But I hope that the few important facts I've left here will give you all some insight into this wonderful person. And if you've never met him, or you never appreciated him until this moment, then now is the time to forsake your old ways and embrace the wonder that is Zobell (not literally though; for some reason he only likes receiving awesome hugs from people he actually knows. Weird, but forgivable, I suppose). I promise you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. I actually had a couple of teachers who had...other jobs...at night. No joke. Two teachers. But no magical white tigers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, looks like I had some of my facts wrong. But just so you know, here are some other things that might not be true about David:

    - He sleeps in a burrow under the HFAC.
    - He is the 5th Beatle.
    - He shot a man in Georgia.
    - He's actually Jack Bauer (this isn't true as far as we know).
    - His name rhymes with "Orange".
    - He eats upside-down.
    - He loves everyone EXCEPT kittens, babies, and nice old people.
    - He has a secret lair in which he hatches his various world domination plots.
    - He's a figment of our collective imagination.

    ReplyDelete